How To Fix Slow Microsoft Edge
Hey there Microsoft edge user.
Have you had any issues on your edge like; slow or no response while surfing the web?
If you have been thinking of a way to solve this problem or problems, well, look no further because we are going to help you fix slow Microsoft edge.
Here is a list of possible solutions to Microsoft Edge problems on windows 10;
- Check your internet connection
- Reset Microsoft Edge
- Clear Browsing History(Cache)
- Set a location for Temporary files
- Delete Edge extensions
- Do a full system scan
- Scan for viruses and Trojan
We would break down each point listed above for clarity
Check out: How To Make A 3D Photo On Facebook
How To Fix Slow Microsoft Edge
Check Your Internet Connection
The first step is to check your internet connection to ensure your network is up and strong, sometimes the lagging may not even be from your Microsoft Edge, it may just be that your network server is down.
- Check the right-hand side of your taskbar.
- Click on the Network settings icon and check the status
Reset Microsoft Edge
Sometimes it is advisable to reset your browser because a plug-in may have been altered by an algorithm from another app, or basically there is an unresponsive plug-in in your Edge browser. By resetting your browser, it automatically takes your browser configuration back to default.
- Click your windows button.
- Click on ‘settings’.
- Click on ‘system’
- Click ‘Default apps’ in systems if Edge is your default browser app.
- Click ‘Reset’
Clear Browsing History Cache
There have been cases where excessive data in your browsing history slows down your browsing speed. You can try cleaning up your cache and any data you want directly from your browser. Maybe your Edge performance will increase, let’s stay positive on this.
- Launch your Edge browser.
- Click on the three horizontal lines at the top right of your toolbar.
- Click on ‘Settings’.
- Click on ‘Choose what to clear’.
- Select “browsing history” from the listed options and clear.
Set a location for temporary files
In the search for possible solutions to fixing slow Edge problems, you may have tried to fix other problems on your system using different troubleshooting methods, as such, you may have tempered with your temporary internet files and these can affect the storage allocated for your Edge to work efficiently. Trying out this method can help restore temporary files directory and aid your Edge work properly.
- Open Internet Explorer (not Microsoft Edge).
- Click on the Gear settings icon.
- Select ‘internet option’.
- Go to ‘Settings’ found below the browsing history.
- On the ‘Temporary Internet Files’ tab, click on Move folder.
- Choose the new location for ‘Temporary Internet Files’ folder.
- Then set the Disk Space to use 1024MB
- Click OK
Delete Edge extensions
Some browser extensions can cause a browser to run slow. The difficult part of this is that you can barely detect which of the extension is making your browser slow, so, we would suggest that you disable them one after the other, sounds difficult right? We know, but trust me it’s worth the stress.
- Click the three horizontal dots at the right hand of your address bar.
- Click on extensions and remove extensions that you want to.
Note: You should ensure that all your extensions are up to date before you consider deleting them. This part is very necessary because sometimes your extensions may just need an update instead of being taken off totally
Do a full System Scan
Windows 10 has an embedded scan that fixes various system errors, it’s called the SFC scan and it can be helpful in fixing Edge issues.
Here’s how to go about it.
- Type cmd in the Search box or press Windows + X
- Click on Command Prompt admin.
- At the Command Prompt, type the following command: sfc /scan now.
- Press ENTER, Wait until the process is completed and Restart system.
Scan for Viruses and Trojans
Scanning for viruses and Trojans is very important for the healthy state of your PC and most times these intruders come in through the internet. Scanning for virus and fixing them is another good step to achieving a fast Edge browser. Most good antivirus scan automatically when installed.
We have literally given possible solutions to fix slow Microsoft Edge and we hope this article has been helpful. We are certain that one of the above-listed steps should have solved your slow Microsoft Edge issues. Feel free to use the comment box below. Suggestions or better options for fixing Microsoft Edge issues are totally welcome.